Pierson’s Greenhouse 1880s

Today it is the Chase bank on the corner of Broadway and McKeel, but once upon a time this building was an elaborate and beautiful Greenhouse belonging to a very prominent Tarrytown resident, Frank R. Pierson. Pierson was born in 1855 and rose to become a florist and businessman becoming one of the largest importers of bulbs in the United States during the 1880s. With … Continue reading Pierson’s Greenhouse 1880s

Unearthed Remnants of the Main Café

Recent renovations to the closed down laundromat on the corner of Main and John Streets unearthed a formerly hidden of relic of bygone Tarrytown social life. Workers on the new restaurant planned to occupy the former laundromat which closed several years ago discovered two beautiful signs above the window frames. One, a rusted blue and white enamel sign simply says Café, whilst the other was … Continue reading Unearthed Remnants of the Main Café

The Tarrytown Daily News

Once, newspapers flourished in America. Across the country, from major cities to small towns, the written press was the primary source of news, both local and global. Almost every household took a newspaper, many becoming so popular, there were often evening as well as morning editions. In the pre-digital age, newspapers offered everything from sports news, entertainment listings and local business information to social gossip. … Continue reading The Tarrytown Daily News

Rip’s Retreat Roadside Attraction, c.1950s

Washington Irving deliberately kept the exact home of Rip Van Winkle a secret: his classic 1818 short story was just set somewhere in the Catskill Mountains of New York. But the widespread popularity of his tale saw many villages and towns in the area began to name check the long sleeping, hen pecked husband. Rip Van Winkle day tours, garages, diners and hiking trails soon … Continue reading Rip’s Retreat Roadside Attraction, c.1950s

Van Tassel Garage Promotional Blotters, 1940s.

John E. Joyce operated his auto repair and towing business out of the lower level of the Van Tassel Garage, on Beekman Avenue & Teresa Street. The Van Tassel Garage, (courtesy Westchester County Historical Society). The 40s style pin up blotters were made by Brown & Bigelow, St. Paul’s, Minnesota. The printers & publishers started in 1896, and by World War Two, specialized in calendars, … Continue reading Van Tassel Garage Promotional Blotters, 1940s.

The Mobile Company of America,1900

On July 16, 1899 Amzi Barber and John Brisben Walker purchased 225 acres at the foot of Beekman Avenue and commissioned leading architect Stanford White to build a 700 window brick and steel factory. The factory was known as The Mobile Company of America. By March 1900 the company was in full operation and by the summer the Walker Steamer was on the streets of … Continue reading The Mobile Company of America,1900

The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory, 1857

The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory was a footwear manufacturing plant located in Tarrytown, New York. The G. & D. Silver Shoe Company was established in 1857 by brothers George and David Silver. Their primary office and warehouse was located at 18 Warren Street, New York, New York. In 1871 the company opened a factory on Washington Street, along side the Andre Brook, where they manufactured high quality footwear. When … Continue reading The G. & D. Silver Shoe Factory, 1857