Wolfert’s Roost, 1855

1855 edition of Wolfert’s Roost by Washington Irving generously donated by author Neil Cohen.

Wolfert’s Roost tells the story of Irving’s home Sunnyside which began almost 200 years before he lived there with Wolfert Acker, a Dutch-American inhabitant of the region. His property, Wolfert’s Roost, was part of the Manor of Philipsburg. Among other buildings, Wolfert’s Roost contained a simple two-room stone tenant farmhouse, built around 1690, which later Irving transformed into the fairy tale cottage we see today. The gold emblem on the front of the book shows the “cocked hat” of the Roost standing tall above the lush greenery which still flourishes at Sunnyside today.